Friday, May 15, 2015

Kyle T Webster on Art 'Contests'

We have talked about this here before, but here is a tumblr post by Kyle Webster about a recent 'contest'.

From the post:

"All they do is provide the client with tons of free art and a tiny pay day for the selected artist. I’m getting more direct with my replies to these annoying emails - the one below was in reply to an email about designing a can for Mike’s Harder Lemonade (this is a multi-million dollar brand, folks, offering to pay $7500 for winning can design… pathetic)- let’s show these companies that we don’t work for free."

http://kyletwebster.tumblr.com/post/119019783950/art-contests-hurt-our-business

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree here, but I'm also curious what jobs Kyle is lucky enough to be landing. Although the contest idea is gross, "offering to pay $7500 for winning can design" sounds like a pretty fair payday. Not that I think it's actually fair, but in my experience it's almost market fair. I've been lucky enough to work on some pretty large brands and budgets are getting tighter and tighter. Agencies behind the design are surely charging multiple thousands but they aren't willing to play that game with illustrators any longer.

    Maybe those brands are out there, but P&G global brands aren't entertaining quotes much higher than this these days and are always threatening to tighten up further.

    The contest idea is bad, but I'm not sure what Kyle is expecting payday wise for one can. Maybe if you'er a name artist or celebrity artist you can demand more. OR everyone is pulling a real fast one over on me....which is likely : )

    ReplyDelete