Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Secret Stone


   Hi everyone. My name is Adam. I've been following this blog for a while and recently decided I really can be considered an illustrator. ;)      These images are a sketch of Turtle and the first page of a story I have illustrated. Hopefully it will be published soon!  The book is called The Secret Stone, by Jeff Tally. I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Y'know, let me know what you guys and gals think. I look forward to meeting some of you at the upcoming lunches as well!
        You can check out some more of my work at flyingtreehousestudio.com. It's also on Blogger.
 

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the group, Adam!
    This is a nice piece. Very moody scene with great emphasis on the characters' faces. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    Question: Is the firefly an important character in the story, or an environmental detail? Something about the way he's isolated, makes me think there's something going on with him.

    I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful advice at the lunches. Hope you can get to one soon. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The firefly is environmental. Each page has something small to liven it up and add life to the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice meeting you Adam! This is a striking image. The turtle is a wonderful design.

    In the future, I would try not to run type over the image like that. It is often a design challenge to make a good space for the type design and I find the verticals of the cattails under the type make it a little hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to run the type across the image, but putting a blank space or a faded block behind doesn't match well with the rest of the book very well. Admittedly, I wasn't thinking about the type when I first created this page, and in retrospect would have done it differently. But at actual size I think it will work out alright. I do appreciate your comment, though and I will keep this in mind in the future!

    ReplyDelete