Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Greeting Card Cronicles #1


In what I hope will be a continuing feature of this blog is a little something I like to call the Greeting Card Cronicles. I'll be showcasing a variety of peculiar and mind-bending antidotes about the industry where I got my first big break.

On the left is a job I did for Hallmark a few years back. It features a fan getting autographs from a variety of baseball players. Imagine my surprise a few years later when perusing the racks of a local card shop when I came upon card #2. I looked at it and thought,"This looks strangely familiar, but this is definitely not one of my cards." I bought it, came home and looked over my collection of cards I had done for Hallmark. I found the baseball one and burst out laughing!

Apparently one of Hallmark's staff artists liked my characters so much that they practically copied every character for their own office card assignment!

At least this "artist" had the decency to not sign their name. 

4 comments:

  1. That is absolutely astonishing! I cannot believe you found the swipe card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...sounds like a job for Stan Chesley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This goes way beyond being inspired by someone else's work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Daryll —you could be the next Preston Blair!

    ReplyDelete