Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Got Chocolate Milk?





This character was designed to be put on a fake box of cereal for a "Got Chocolate Milk?" commercial. As you can see from the sketches below, the agency wanted me to just "go nuts"(get it?) with the character. As you can see, he's crazy for Cocoa Nuts! But when it came time to film the commercial, they decided to play down the crazy aspect. They pasted a "Special Offer Magic Ring" starburst over just about all of the straightjacket. I'm sure this was done for mental health sensitivity reasons.

I have the finished commercial on a VHS tape but have not been able to find it anywhere online or on youtube.

Anyway, it was fun to be given free reign to draw whatever in a character design. Although I have been known to get away with putting nostrils on dolphins!

I really should follow Chuck's photo reference advice.




4 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Daryll!
    I love seeing all the sketches. (I think I'm partial to sketch #4.)
    BTW, your sketches are really tight —still very expressive. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Too bad about the starburst. Not only does it cover the straight-jacket, but the expressive feet as well. Great seeing the preliminary sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. it is cool to see the alternate sketches. Better dub th cemmercial off the tape before VCRs are gone forever ;)

    BTW, I love how that ads for Froot Loops and Coco Puffs now say that they are high in fiber... I would think parents would be outraged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 is my favorite. Terrific.

    What would the slogan for "Cocoa Nuts" cereal have been?

    My suggestion: "I'm slobbering for 'Nuts'!"

    ReplyDelete