Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ketubah




Up until a few months ago, I had never heard of a Ketubah. I had to look it up when my wife's brother and his soon-to-be wife asked me to create one for them. A Ketubah (kuh-too-bah) is a traditional Jewish prenuptial marriage document outlining the responsibilities of the groom as it relates to his new bride. Turns out, the Ketubah is often ornately decorated or painted and displayed prominently and/or passed down to future generations. Sounded pretty cool to me. This is my first attempt at a ketubah. Congratulations once again to the happy couple.

14 comments:

  1. Very sharp, Ryan!
    Is this the original painting they are signing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paula! It is. The bride and groom had the document (with pre-printed text) sent to my address. It's a paint-friendly type of paper, similar to bristol board. I actually don't do much traditional stuff anymore because most of my work is now digital - but this type of project definitely called for an original painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is the painting! Impressive. I wish I could see it close up. I have heard of these before but have never seen one up close.

    Great to see a new post Ryan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--were you a little nervous you might mess up the document? (spill paint???)

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally gorgeous - what a keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, That painting is outstanding!

    Ryan, I don't think I've seen that type of subject matter in your paintings before.

    I'll say it again, I'm continually stunned by the incredible level of talent and skill on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Good to see you posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all!

    Paula: Yes. I was a bit nervous. One is certainly more careful and deliberate when working on a surface that must remain free of errant blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol - no errant blemishes sounds so...impossible! They've become a signature of my work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea. I totally love it. It looks so crisp. I'm also a sucker for type that fits in a circle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great.

    Maybe I'll have to have those who haven't seen a Catholic/Jewish Ketubah over to see ours..haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. After seeing your holiday card, I would like to see it ;)

    ReplyDelete